characters standing in a line

Support for carers

Local carer support

Carers Information Service
020 8649 9339 - option 1

Offers information, advice and support to carers who either live in, or care for someone who lives in the London Borough of Croydon. A carer looks after a friend, family member or neighbour who needs their help due to illness, disability or older age. The care they provide is unpaid.

Also runs the Carers Support Centre, 24 George Street, Croydon CR0 1PB (opposite George Street tram stop) - see a map. Open Monday to Friday, 10am-1pm.

National carer support

Carers Trust
Provides information and advice, and delivers local services via Network Partners.

Carers UK
Runs national campaigns and provides information for carers via a helpline and useful publications: Carers UK Factsheets

Older people and older carers

Age UK Croydon
Services are primarily for people aged 50 plus, but also runs a general advice service (see the Advice section for more information). Services include:
• Health and Wellbeing Service, offering a range of social and keep fit activities. Charges apply.
• Healthy Lifestyles programme provides drop-in hubs, outreach and referrals to support older people’s health and wellbeing.
• Home Help Service, offering support with domestic tasks. Charges apply.
• Home from Hospital and Reablement Service, offering emotional/practical support and reablement to people aged 50 or older when leaving hospital.
• Home Maintenance Service, which can help with large and small DIY jobs, including fitting key safes. Charges apply.
• Nail Care service at venues across the borough. Charges apply.
• Personal Safety Project which aims to help prevent falls in the home.

Croydon Neighbourhood Care (CNCA)
Network of volunteer-run neighbourhood care groups across Croydon. Groups offer support to Croydon residents aged over 65. Services differ from group to group, but examples include befriending, occasional gardening, DIY, shopping, lunch clubs and transport. Also runs a Befriending Service.

Parent carers (caring for a child or young person aged 0-18 with additional needs)

National charity providing information, advice, support and publications for families caring for a disabled child.

Croydon Local Offer
Under the Children and Families Act 2014, all local authorities must produce a Local Offer of services for children and young people with disabilities or special educational needs (SEN). The Croydon Local Offer is available online and leaflets can be downloaded.

Home-Start Croydon
Supports local families, in their own homes, who are experiencing difficulties or suffering stress, and who have at least one child under five years of age. Experienced volunteers offer free and confidential emotional support weekly (two-to-three hours) helping to prevent family crisis and breakdown.

Parents in Partnership @ Croydon Mencap
Supports parent carers of children and young people with any kind of additional needs and disabilities aged 0-25 living in Croydon. Family Link Workers offer information, advice and emotional support.

For more information on services for parent carers, download our Caring for a Child factsheet.

Young carers

Off The Record- Young Carers Service
The Young Carers Service in Croydon offers support to young people aged 7 - 25 who are caring for a parent or sibling. Services include emotional, educational and family support, as well as trips and activities in the school holidays. There are also specific services for young adult carers aged 17-25. including carer's assessments, social events and individual support. Young adult carers assessments available for ages 18-30.

To complete a referral form, please click here for 7-17 year olds and here for 18-25s.

Black and Ethnic Minority (BME) carers

Asian Resource Centre of Croydon
A charitable organisation with a view of bringing together Asian communities and businesses in Croydon. Services include workshops, events and activities.

Croydon BME Forum
The umbrella organisation for Croydon’s black and minority ethnic voluntary and community sector. Services include community outreach, groups and workshops.

Horizon Care and Welfare Association

Specialises in supporting people from BME communities, but services are open to everyone.



Autism Parent Family and Carers Support Group
020 8255 5473
Monthly meetings for parents, family and carers of young people and adults with autism.

Creates opportunities for growth, learning and work for young people with autistic spectrum condition (ASC) and complex needs. Uses virtual environments to provide programmes and activities that help users to build confidence and to develop social communication, digital and employability skills.

Croydon Autism Service - Autism service
Support for people with autism, including focused support sessions, peer group sessions, training and linking with other services to increase independence. Also offers a monthly support group for carers.

07900 990 292
Support and meetings for adults with Autism in Croydon.

National Autistic Society (NAS)
National charity for people with autism and their families. Parent to Parent is a service giving emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism and is provided by trained parent volunteers. This service is a voicemail service.

National Autistic Society (NAS) Croydon Family Support
020 3005 4335
Croydon branch of the National Autistic Society. Provides information, advice, and support for families of children and young people with a diagnosis of autism through home visits and autism-specific courses. Also offers short breaks (trampolining sessions and a youth club) and social skills groups (Lego and football skills) for children and young people in the borough. Telephone support is available for families with a child awaiting diagnosis and for young adults aged up to 25. Activities are organised during the school holidays. Self-referrals are accepted.

Brain injury

Headway South West London
07722 861 642
Provides advice and support about acquired brain injury. Their Family and Friends Support Group is available for any family member, friend or carer of a person with an acquired brain injury.


Brenda Kirby Cancer Centre
07785 626 812
Offers information, support, counselling and complementary therapies for cancer patients and their carers.

Macmillan Cancer Information and Support Service Croydon
020 8401 3441 (Local Helpline) / 0808 808 0000 (National Helpline)
Local Macmillan Cancer Support service. Provides information, support, counselling and complementary therapies for cancer patients and their carers. Offers a support group for carers, workshops, art classes, walking for health, meditation and yoga. Workshops include Penny Brohn, Living with the Impact of Cancer, a two day workshop for patients and carers, and HOPE (Help Overcome Problems Effectively) for patients following the end of treatment.

Macmillan Citizens Advice Service for South West London
020 7042 0332
Welfare benefits and money advice service for people living with cancer, their families and carers. Can help people on a low income apply for a grant to fund unexpected costs or respite.

South East Cancer Help Centre
020 8668 0974
Information, counselling, complementary therapies and groups for cancer patients and their carers.


Alzheimer’s Society Croydon
020 8653 2818 (Local Number) / 0300 222 1122 (National Helpline)
Croydon branch of Alzheimer's Society, a national dementia charity. Contact the national helpline for information and advice on caring for someone with dementia. Local services include:
• Forget-Me-Not Café, which meets twice a month for people with dementia and their carers.
• Jasmine Café is also for people with dementia and their carers but has a specific BME focus.
• Singing for the Brain - music and singing therapy sessions.
• Support groups for people with early stage dementia and monthly carers support groups.

Croydon Memory Service
020 3228 9500
Provides early assessment, treatment and care for people over the age of 18 who have memory problems that may be associated with dementia. Supports people with the first sign of memory problems to maintain their health and independence. Referral by health professionals only.


Bromley Healthcare: Croydon Community Diabetes Service
01689 865 911 (Diabetes Specialist Nurse)
Provides Croydon residents with clinical advice, education and support for people with diabetes and their family members/carers.

Croydon Voluntary Group

020 8656 5636
Local branch of Diabetes UK, run by people living with diabetes under the care of Croydon University Hospital. Provides talks and social forums for people living with diabetes and their families and carers.


Croydon Epilepsy Society
07926 372 711
Information and support for people with epilepsy and their carers.

Heart conditions

Croydon Cardiac Support Group
020 8860 3459
Support group for heart patients and their carers. Provides emotional support and counselling for patients in Croydon University Hospital’s cardiac care and chest pain wards, via weekly visits.


Croydon HIV Healthy Living Service
020 8305 5006
Co-ordinated community health services for residents of South London (including Croydon) living with HIV and their carers, including advice and advocacy, health support, counselling and peer support. Weekly outreach sessions at Croydon University Hospital.

Terrence Higgins Trust
0808 802 1221
National HIV and sexual health charity providing information, support services and campaigning for people living with HIV and their carers.

Learning disability/difficulty

Acute Liaison Nurse for Patients with a Learning Disability
020 8726 6500
Supports Croydon residents with a learning disability and their carers to use Croydon University Hospital services.

Croydon Dyslexia Association
08442 496 949
Information, advice, screening service and specialist literacy workshops for primary and secondary pupils. Open meetings for people with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties and their families and carers.

Croydon Mencap
020 8684 5890
Information, advice and support for people with a learning disability and their carers. Services include:
• Chill and Chat group for parents and carers of children with a learning disability aged five and under.
• Leslie Park Project supporting younger adults aged 18-40 with a learning disability to access leisure activities in the community. Access to this service is via a social services referral.
• Social club and discos for people with a learning disability and their carers.
• Support group for families of children with Down’s syndrome in Croydon.

Croydon People First
020 8253 7096
Peer-led support service for people with a learning disability. Provides personal support, regular activities and community hub. Accessible information service puts information into alternative formats. Charges apply.

Down’s Syndrome Association
0333 1212 300
National organisation for people with Down’s syndrome and their families. Provides information, local support groups, employment programme, sports programme and training.

0808 808 1111 (Learning Disability Helpline)
National charity for people with a learning disability, and their families and carers.

Life-limiting conditions

St Christopher’s Hospice
020 8768 4500
Support for adults with a life-limiting condition and their carers. Patient services include home nursing, in-patient care, day services and outpatient clinics. Help for patients and carers includes practical and emotional support from social workers and welfare officers. Offers two bereavement services for families of service users (adults and children).

Mental health

Bipolar UK
0333 323 3880
Monthly Croydon support group for people with bipolar. Carers are welcome.

Hear Us
020 8681 6888
Croydon’s mental health service user group, which acts as a coordinating body to facilitate, and ensure service users involvement in, the planning, delivery and monitoring of mental health services in Croydon. Also monitors the quality of mental health services commissioned and delivered in Croydon.

Mind in Croydon
020 8668 2210
Local branch of national charity Mind. Provides a wide range of services for people with mental health problems in Croydon, including:
• Information, advice, advocacy and a welfare benefits advice service.
• Carers’ Support Service (020 8688 1210) for carers aged 16 and over providing information on services, support to access help, advocacy, emotional support, events, workshops and carers support groups.
• Carers Counselling Service (020 8763 2064) offers six free individual/group counselling sessions to any carer aged 16 and over in Croydon.
• Employment support.
• Leisure activities, Friends in Need and social networking service.

South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM)
0800 731 2864 (SLaM Support Helpline)
24-hour freephone helpline for people in Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham and Croydon going through a mental health crisis and those who care for them. (If the person is at immediate risk of harm, call 999). Provides advice on mental health and medication and help with accessing information and services. Also has an option for Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) which offers advice and information on SLaM’s services for service users and carers.

Multiple sclerosis (MS)

Multiple Sclerosis Society (Croydon Branch)
07379 250 595 (Croydon)
0808 800 8000 (National)
Local support group for people affected by MS and their carers. Affiliated to the national MS Society.


Parkinson’s UK Croydon Branch
Croydon and District Branch | Parkinson's local support finder (

An active local group in Croydon providing friendship and support to people with Parkinson’s and their carers. Offers monthly meetings with speakers, support groups, weekly exercise classes, outings, annual holiday and transport to meetings if needed.

Physical disability and sensory impairment

Croydon Deaf Information and Advice Service
Provides information and advice to d/Deaf and hearing impaired people in Croydon. Topics covered include welfare benefits, debt, housing, employment, legal issues and consumer rights. The service can also represent d/Deaf people at appeal tribunals.

Croydon Hearing
020 8686 0049
Advice, information and practical help for Croydon residents with any type of hearing loss and their carers. Conducts environmental equipment assessments on behalf of social services and offers advice about equipment available free from Croydon Council, and where to purchase equipment privately. Nine drop-in surgeries across the borough offer help with re-tubing NHS hearing aids and provision of batteries. This organisation has now moved to Croydon Hearing Resource Centre, 19 Stafford Road, Croydon CR0 4NG.

Croydon Vision
020 8688 2486
Provides a range of services for blind and partially sighted people including information, advice and guidance services, social and support groups, lunch clubs, IT training, counselling and children’s activities.

Disability Croydon
020 8688 3622
Information, advice, support and advocacy for adults with a physical disability or sensory impairment and their carers. This organisation has now moved to 19 Stafford Road, Croydon CR0 4NG.

Royal Association for Deaf People
0300 688 2525
Drop-in offers advice on benefits and form filling, NHS, utility bills, council issues and translation.

Sickle cell and thalassaemia

Croydon Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Centre
020 8251 7229 (Medical Centre)
020 8251 7259 (Support Group)
The Medical Centre is a nurse-led walk-in centre offering information, advice, screening and counselling for people with sickle cell/thalassaemia and their carers. The support group is a voluntary based group offering support and fundraising events.


Croydon Stroke Support Group
01444 458 075
07952 565 285
Information, advice, social and craft activities, entertainment and exercise for people who have had a stroke and their carers. People with Parkinson’s are also welcome.

Family and Carer Support Croydon
020 8653 2069
Provides information, advice and support to people who have had a stroke and their families/carers. Offers home visits, friendship networks, carers’ support, assistance to access local leisure activities and communication support.

The Stroke Association
0303 3033 100 (National Helpline)
Information and advice for those who have had a stroke and their carers. Runs a number of local support groups.

Substance addiction

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
0800 917 7650
There are various AA groups meeting in Croydon, some of which are open to carers at least once a month. Can arrange for someone to accompany a person to their first meeting.

Al-Anon Family Groups
020 7403 0888
Supports adults (18 or older) whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking. Contact for details of local support groups.

Croydon Drug and Alcohol Recovery Network
0300 123 9288 (open 24-hours)
Turning Point | Health & Wellbeing (
Single access point drug and alcohol support service. You must live in Croydon or be registered with a Croydon GP to use the service.

Information, advice and support

Advice and advocacy

Advocacy for Croydon

0345 310 1812
An advocate helps makes sure that a person’s voice is heard, that their views are considered and their rights are protected. Some advocacy is required by law (statutory), for example under the Care Act when a person is being assessed by the local authority, cannot speak up for themselves, and does not have a family member or friend to help them.
Advocacy for Croydon is a partnership between Advocacy for All and Mind in Croydon, offering advocacy services in the London Borough of Croydon. Services include:
• Care Act Advocacy.
• Children’s Advocacy.
• Independent Health Complaints Advocacy (IHCA).
• Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA).
• Community Mental Health Advocacy (non-statutory).
• Self-Advocacy - Learning Disabilities (non-statutory).
You can make a referral online or by phone.

Citizens Advice Croydon
020 8684 2236
Online, telephone and face-to-face advice for Croydon residents, including a housing advice line and Macmillan service for people with cancer. Drop-in centre is based in South Norwood. Please check their website for drop-in and phone line opening times.

Benefits and money

For general information on benefits and money, please download our Money Matters factsheet.

Entitled To
Online benefits calculator to help you calculate your benefits entitlement.

0808 802 2000
Helps people in financial need access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Website includes an online benefits calculator, a grants search database and information on all welfare benefits. Helpline provides advice to people without internet access or who need help online.


The Carers Information Service offers a bereavement support group for carers and former carers who have experienced bereavement. For more information, please contact Tanya Fitzgerald on 020 8649 6280 or email

We also provide a factsheet for carers on bereavement. Copies can be ordered by visiting the Carers Support Centre, calling 020 8649 9339, option 1 or emailing

Please note that former carers are welcome to continue to use the Carers Support Centre advice service and Carers Café.

Christ Church Purley Bereavement Support Group
020 8660 2337
020 8651 3335
Support group for people who have been bereaved (open to everyone regardless of faith).

Cruse Bereavement Care Croydon
020 8916 0855 (24-hour answer phone)
Information, support and social groups for people who have been bereaved. Free one-to-one counselling in people’s homes.

Forget-Me-Not Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Group
07519 105 354
Forget-Me-Not offers support for all affected by suicide loss. The group is self-led and informal, where you can connect with other survivors. Please note this group is based in Kent.

St Christopher’s Candle Child Bereavement Service
020 8768 4533
One-to-one and group counselling for children and young people in South East London who have been bereaved. Offers an advice service for parents.

Woodside Bereavement Service - The Listening Ear
020 3256 2009
Free counselling for anyone (child or adult) who has been bereaved, including pre-bereavement counselling for people with a life-limiting condition and their carers.

Care homes

For more information on care homes, download our Care Homes factsheet.

Age UK
0800 678 1174
Information and advice on choosing and paying for a care home, including a Care Home Checklist.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
03000 616 161
All care homes must be registered with the CQC. You can search for care homes based on specialism, location, ratings and inspection reports.

Croydon Care Directories
Provides details of private, voluntary and council care homes in Croydon. Free copies are available from the Carers Support Centre, 24 George Street, Croydon CR0 1PB.

Independent Age
0800 319 6789
Advice, information and publications for older people, their families and carers on issues such as care homes and care home fees.

The Relatives and Residents Association
020 7359 8136
Information, advice and emotional support for older people moving into a care home, and their family and carers.

Whitgift Care
020 8256 1596
Whitgift Care, run by the John Whitgift Foundation, manages a range of care options for older people across its three care homes: The Whitgift Almshouses, Whitgift House and Wilhelmina House. Services include ‘1596 Club’ day services, sheltered living, residential accommodation, nursing care and respite.

Carers' rights

For information on your rights as a carer, download Carers UK’s Looking After Someone guide.

For information on carers’ rights and human rights, download A Pocket Guide for Carers from the British Institute of Human Rights.


Mind in Croydon’s Carers’ Counselling Service offers up to six free counselling sessions for any carer aged 18 or over in Croydon. They also provide low-cost counselling for Croydon residents with mental health problems and their carers. Please note there may be a waiting list, based on your level of need. For more information, call 020 8763 2064 or email

The following services offer free or low-cost counselling in Croydon:

Care to Listen
07956 891 203 / 07985 343 619
Low-cost counselling service based in Croydon. An initial assessment costs £15. Sessions cost £20-£45 depending on income.

Croydon Drop In
020 8680 0404
Free counselling, information, advice, family support and advocacy services for young people aged 11 -25 and their families. Young person must live, work or study in the London Borough of Croydon.

Off the Record
020 8251 0251
Free counselling for young people aged 14-25, including young carers. Young person must refer themselves.


For special educational needs advice and support, download our Caring for a Child factsheet.

For information on education grants for carers, download our Grant-Giving Organisationsfactsheet.

Emergency and urgent help

Food banks
Provide emergency supplies (usually three days’ provision) of food to people in need. Access to food banks in Croydon is usually via a professional who has identified a person as ‘in need’ and referred them to a food bank, or given them a ticket or voucher to redeem for food. Information about local food banks can be found in our Carers Information Service listing here and also on the Croydon Voluntary Action website here.

GP Urgent Care Hubs
Edridge Road walk-in centre has been replaced by three urgent care GP hubs: East Croydon Medical Centre, Purley War Memorial Hospital and Parkway Health Centre. Urgent appointments are available 8am-8pm, seven days a week. Patients are encouraged to call NHS 111 before visiting a hub, but a walk-in service is available.

Mental health emergencies
If the person you care for is in touch with mental health services, they can contact the community mental health team and speak to their care coordinator. For urgent or out-of-hours help or advice, you can also contact the SLaM 24-hour mental health support line on 0800 731 2864.

If the person you care for needs help immediately, go to your nearest hospital with an Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department, where the psychiatric liaison team can help you. If you are concerned the person you care for may be at immediate risk of harming themselves or others, call 999.

NHS 111 service
Non-emergency NHS service available 24 hours a day, all year round. Call 111 if you need urgent or out-of-hours medical help and advice in a non-emergency. Can provide details for out-of-hours dentists and pharmacies. In an emergency, call 999.

116 123
A safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.

Urgent Care Centre
020 8401 3000 (CUH)
For patients with an urgent medical problem. Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Based at 530 London Road, Thornton Heath CR7 7YE.


It’s your decision whether or not to tell your employer that you are a carer. Some people find it helpful as their employer may be more understanding about their situation. Your employer may also have additional policies which go above and beyond legal requirements.

If you have been in your current job for 26 weeks or more (unless you are an agency worker), you have the right to ask for flexible working. Your request can be turned down, but only once the correct process has been followed. You can only make one request every 12 months. Your request must be in writing and include certain information, such as:
• The nature of the flexibility you are asking for e.g. flexitime, working from home, etc.
• When you wish to start flexible working.
• If you have made any previous requests (and if so, when).
• The impact your request, if any, would have on your work and how this impact could be resolved.

Your employer has up to three months to respond to your request. Flexible working requests can only be turned down for a good business reason; for example, because it would be too costly to the business or it would not be possible to reorganise work amongst existing staff. Some employers have an appeals system if you are turned down, but there is no legal requirement to have one.

Every employee has the right to take a ‘reasonable’ amount of time off work for an unexpected event that affects a dependant. The legal right to time off for dependants only applies to unforeseen events. So for example, if the person you care for suddenly fell ill and needed to be rushed to hospital, you could use this right.

0300 123 1100
Provides employment information, advice and early conciliation service (early resolution support before cases reach tribunal).

Access to Work
0800 121 7479
Grants to help pay for practical support for disabled people who need help to start or stay in work, or start up their own business.

ACE (Groundwork London)
Offers employment support to disabled people and people with a long-term health condition. Participants must be aged 25 or older, been out of work for 18 months or more, and living in a London borough.

Employers for Carers
Advice and support for employers wanting to develop carer-friendly policies and practice. Website gives details of the business case for supporting carers and links to relevant research, which could strengthen a carer’s argument when requesting flexible working.

National Careers Service

0800 100 900
Provides information, advice and guidance on education, training and career opportunities online or over the phone.

Working Families

0300 012 0312
‘Waving not Drowning’ project provides information and support to carers and parent carers who wish to combine work with caring responsibilities.

Working for Carers
020 8699 8686
Employment advice and support for carers and former carers aged 25 and over who are not in paid work and live in London. Support includes one-to-one sessions, workshops, groups, and employment, training and volunteering opportunities. The Croydon service is provided by Carers Lewisham.


For more information on health, download our Health and Hospital Services factsheet.

Croydon Health Services
020 8401 3000 (General)
020 8274 6300 (Croydon Community Health Services)
Provides details of community health services such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, podiatry and speech and language therapy. Please note that some services require a GP referral.

Croydon Talking Therapies (IAPT)
020 3228 4040
Croydon Talking Therapies
Provides short-term psychological interventions for people in Croydon with a mental health problem, such as low mood, depression and anxiety. The service is free for anyone aged 18 or over who lives in Croydon and is registered with a Croydon GP. IAPT is not an emergency service - see the above section on mental health emergencies. Patients can self-refer for a telephone assessment.

Healthwatch Croydon
020 8663 5648
Cannot look into individual complaints but can feed into future local decision-making on health and social care services.

Live Well Programme
020 8604 7719
Just Live Well is a FREE (12 month) long term behaviour change programme. They offer a face-to-face service delivered by qualified advisors, who work with Croydon residents that may find it difficult to make changes in their life without additional support. It is designed to provide support that can help you: quit smoking, lose weight, eat more healthily, become more physically active, cut down on alcohol and improve mental wellbeing.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Team
020 8401 3210/3352
Handles complaints and concerns about Croydon NHS healthcare services. Complaints can be made on behalf of the person you care for with their consent. PALS can help resolve concerns and complaints informally. To make a formal complaint, contact the Complaints team.

Home maintenance

If you are arranging work privately, it is a good idea to check tradespeople before using their services. Age UK London (0800 334 5056) holds a register of local tradespeople (including cleaners, gardeners and handyperson services) who have been recommended as trustworthy and have undergone police checks. You can also look at Checkatrade and Trustmark.

Disabled Facilities Grant
020 8726 5000 (Croydon Adult Social Care)
Support in your home | Croydon Council
Grants of up to £30,000 for owners and tenants of private and housing association properties to pay for adaptations to help a disabled person stay in their home. The grant is means-tested and individuals will be financially assessed. Applicants need to contact Croydon Adult Social Care and arrange for an occupational therapist (OT) to visit their home to assess which adaptations are needed. After this assessment, an application for the Disabled Facilities Grant can be made.

Staying Put
020 8760 5505
Support in your home | Croydon Council
Organises low-cost home repairs or adaptations for older, disabled and other vulnerable adults. Service costs 10-15% of the final cost. Can provide an interest-free loan for the work until the property is sold. Handy Person Service carries out minor repairs/odd jobs at £25 an hour (plus cost of materials) and a basic garden maintenance service (£25 an hour).


Croydon Council Housing Register Team
020 8726 6100
Housing | Croydon Council
Provides information and support on social housing in the London Borough of Croydon. Responsible for managing Croydon Council’s Housing Register.

020 8726 6100
Homelessness | Croydon Council
Croydon Council can provide support to those who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness. In order to access support, the individual must complete the online Housing Options Self Help tool.
Croydon Council only has a duty to provide accommodation if the following conditions are met:
• You are homeless - you do not have a home that you have a right to live in or you do have a home but it is not reasonable for you to continue living there.
• You are eligible for assistance (most UK residents).
• You are not intentionally homeless and could not have taken action to prevent yourself from losing your home.
• You have a local connection to Croydon.
If the above criteria are met, you will be assigned a Housing Needs caseworker who will help to house you. This may be in short-term accommodation to begin with (most likely not in Croydon) but afterwards into a more stable home. If the criteria are not met, Croydon Council can still provide advice and help in finding suitable accommodation. If you need advice, Shelter England provides an Emergency Helpline (0808 1644 660).

Housing Advice Project - Croydon Citizens Advice Bureau
020 8683 5206
Citizens Advice Croydon
Independent service specialising in giving advice on housing-related matters, including homelessness, eviction and housing conditions. Advice can be given by telephone or by appointment.

Shelter England
0808 800 4444 (National Advice Line)
0344 515 1540 (London Helpline for people aged 25 and over)
0330 053 6091 (London Helpline for people aged under 25)
National charity for housing. Provides information and advice on any housing issue.

Legal advice

Civil Legal Advice
0345 345 4345
Free and confidential legal advice for people eligible for legal aid.. Provides legal advice online and by telephone, including online information on eligibility for legal aid.

Croydon Law Centre (part of South West London Law Centres)
020 8767 2777
Offers a daytime clinic (appointment only) and a drop-in evening clinic two nights a week, providing initial, one-off advice and signposting and referral where necessary. Evening clinic is first-come, first-served. Services are intended for people who cannot afford legal services.

Equality Advisory and Support Service
0808 800 0082
Provides information and guidance on equality law and discrimination.

Safeguarding (if someone is or may be at risk)

Adult Abuse Reporting Line (Croydon Council)
020 8726 6500
Report abuse of an adult | Croydon Council
Every individual who witnesses, hears of or learns of an abusive or potentially abusive situation in relation to an adult at risk should call and report it to the adult abuse reporting line or report it online. If you believe a vulnerable adult is at immediate risk of harm, call 999.

Children’s Safeguarding (Croydon Council)
020 8255 2888 (Urgent Single Point of Contact)
020 8726 6400 (Non-urgent or out-of-hours Reporting)

Report a concern about a child | Croydon Council

If you are worried about a child or young person, report your concerns to Croydon Council. If a child or young person is at immediate risk of harm, call 999.

Bromley and Croydon Women’s Aid
020 8313 9303
Bromley and Croydon Domestic Abuse Service (
Information, advice and support services for anyone experiencing domestic abuse.

Family Justice Centre
020 8688 0100
FJC (formerly Family Justice Centre) | Croydon Council
Information, advice and support for anyone experiencing domestic abuse.

Social care

For more information, see our Getting Support from Social Care factsheet (adults) or Caring for a Child factsheet (children).

Croydon Adult Social Care
020 8726 6500
Adult health and social care | Croydon Council

Point of contact for adult social care for anyone with support needs aged 25 or over. Self-referrals can be made online, by phone or by email.

Croydon SEND Social Care Team
0208 726 6400
Special educational needs and disability support | Croydon Council
Point of contact for social care support for disabled children aged 0-25. Parents can refer their child for an assessment by phone, or a professional can refer using the online referral form.


Agylia Care
Agylia Care is a free and easy-to-use App for mobiles and tablets, which includes guides and videos on topics including Alzheimer’s, dementia, cancer, stroke, autism, mental health, learning disabilities and children’s care. Agylia Care provides information and useful tips to help people care and support themselves, family or friends.


For more information on travel services and discounts, please download our Getting About factsheet.

Blue Badge Scheme
020 8726 7100 (Croydon Travel Service)
Blue Badges | Croydon Council
Provides parking concessions, such as parking on single or double yellow lines (up to three hours), in disabled bays, or free parking in ‘pay and display bays, to disabled people who qualify.

Croydon Council Passenger Transport Team
020 8686 2215
School travel assistance | Croydon Council

Contact for day-to-day issues regarding home to school transport.

Croydon Council Travel Training Service
020 8604 7578
School travel assistance | Croydon Council

Provide an individualised travel training service to young people and adults with special educational needs and/or disabilities, including Bus Days. Bus Days allows disabled people or those who lack confidence to practice travelling on a bus in a safe, secure environment. Carers are also welcome. In Croydon, Bus Days are held every third Thursday of the month, for ten months of the year.

Dial a Ride
0343 222 7777 (Bookings)
Dial-a-Ride - Transport for London (
Provides free door-to-door minibus service for disabled people who cannot use public transport. You are automatically eligible if you are:
• A Taxicard member.
• Getting the higher rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance.
• Getting the standard or enhanced Mobility Rate of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
• Registered blind or partially sighted.
• Aged 85 or over.
• Getting a higher rate Attendance Allowance.
• Getting a War Pension Mobility Supplement.
If not automatically eligible, you can still apply using the application form.

The service can be used for things such as shopping, visiting family and friends or travelling to leisure activities. It cannot be used for travel to hospital appointments, work, council day centres or school. The service can be busy so you may wish to book a day in advance. If travelling with the person you care for, you can ride for free, provided you are both travelling to and from the same address.

Disabled Persons Railcard
0345 605 0525
The Disabled Persons Railcard is available to disabled adults and children. It gives the cardholder and a friend/carer a third off standard and first class rail fares throughout Great Britain. Cards cost £20 for a year or £54 for three years. Applications can be made online or by post.

Disabled Persons Freedom Pass
020 8726 7100
Travel passes and support | Croydon Council
Free travel on trains (after 9.30am on weekdays, all day on weekends/bank holidays), trams, tube and DLR in Greater London, and on buses throughout England. Cardholders must have an eligible disability.

Hospital Transport Services
0333 240 4086
Booking patient transport | Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
The Non-Emergency Patient Transport (NEPT) service can transport patients to and from Croydon University Hospital. To qualify, the patients must be assessed as eligible by the Patient Transport Assessment and Booking Team. Ask the health professional arranging your appointment for more information.

London Taxicard Scheme
020 8726 7100
London Taxicard | Croydon Council
Reduced fares in black cabs for Croydon residents who are registered blind, or have severe mobility problems and are unable to use public transport. The Taxicard holder pays a minimum contribution, and Croydon Council will pay the rest up to a maximum amount. If the total fare is above this amount, the Taxicard holder must pay the rest of the fare. Check with the Travel Service for current limits. The council will contribute more for trips made at night or at weekends. The concession is limited to a certain number of trips per year and bookings must be made in advance.

Older Persons Freedom Pass
0300 330 1433
older persons Freedom Pass | London Councils
Free travel on trains (after 9.30am), trams, tube and DLR in Greater London, and off-peak local buses (after 9.30am) throughout England. You must live in London and meet specific age criteria to be eligible. The age criteria rises in line with the state pension age for women.

Senior Railcard
0345 3000 250
Senior Railcard | Official Retailer | National Rail
A third off most rail fares throughout the UK for people aged 60 and over. Costs £30 for one year or £70 for three years.

How do I add or update an listing in the Directory?

If you would like to add or update your organisation's listing, please email the Carers Information Service manager,

Services listed in the directory are for information purposes only, and are not endorsed or recommended by the Carers Information Service.

Latest tweet

Please click the button below to see our latest twitter feed.
Follow us
Carers Support Centre logo

Carers Support Centre

The central hub for for anyone in Croydon caring for a family member or friend, who needs help due to illness or disability.
Get support